Water METER REPLACEMENT Fee
Water Meter Requirements
All new homes in Monroe are required to have water meters installed in pits in the front yard; however, in many older homes or buildings, the water meter is located located inside.
Each meter is read remotely by use of radio technology. The radio unit that transmits the readings is located on the lid of the water meter pit, so please be careful while mowing or working around the pit lid to prevent damaging the read unit. Additionally, please do not cover the meter pit lid with sod or landscaping.
Water Meter Maintenance & Accessibility
Water meters are owned, installed, and maintained by the City of Monroe Public Works Department. Water meters must remain accessible at all times for reading, inspection, and removal for repairs. Any changes in the location of the meter must be approved by the Monroe Water Division.
Water Meter Upgrades
Beginning December 31, 2012, the FCC regulations required the City to update our reading equipment including the transponders attached to the meters and in some cases, the entire meter.
Instead of charging each resident a costly, up-front charge for a new meter, Council adopted a $3.00 per month meter replacement fee to fund this initial project, as well as to fund future upgrades to the meters and meter reading equipment (Ordinance 1040.10.)
- Who is required to have a water meter?
- Can I tell if I have a leak by looking at the reading unit on my meter?
- Who owns the water meters?
- Will I be charged if my meter has to be upgraded?
- What is Automatic Meter Reading (AMR?)
- Will the AMR interfere with cell phones, garage door openers, or other electronics?
- Do I need to be home to have my water meter changed?
- How long does it take to replace a water meter?
- How do I make an appointment to have my water meter changed?