Tax News

1099-G Statements for Refunds/Credit

Each year during tax season, the City of Monroe tax office issues 1099-G statements to individual taxpayers, notifying them that they have received a refund or credit.

State and local tax authorities must file information returns with IRS on Form 1099-G with respect to individuals’ income tax refunds, or credits or offsets with respect to income taxes, aggregating $10 or more in one calendar year. The return must include the aggregate amount of the state or local income tax refund (credit or offset).

A “credit or offset” is a tax overpayment which, in lieu of being refunded to the taxpayer, is either applied against an existing liability of the taxpayer, or is available for application against a future liability of the taxpayer, or otherwise used or available for use for the taxpayer’s benefit.

Please consult with your tax preparer concerning the taxability of this 1099-G issued to you for tax year 2018. If you have any questions, please call the City of Monroe at 513-539-7374 Option 3.

Where is my refund?

We know that receiving refunds in a timely manner is important to our taxpayers. We strive to process refund requests as quickly as possible. Some taxing agencies issue refunds up front and “chase” any improperly refunded money later after auditing. Here at the City, we audit refund requests up front, which safeguards taxpayer money and helps prevent fraud. Refund requests are processed in the order in which they are received. In some situations, a filed return requesting a refund may be incomplete. If that happens, the auditor to whom the refund is assigned will send a letter to the taxpayer requesting any additional information needed to complete the return.

Because each return is unique and must be audited before a refund can be issued, we are not able to tell you exactly when your refund will be received. Under state law, municipalities do not have to pay interest on any overpayment so long as it is refunded within ninety days after the final filing date of the annual return or ninety days after the completed return is filed, whichever is later. However, the tax office strives to process returns more quickly than that.

You are always welcome to call the tax office if you have questions or concerns about your refund request, but please keep in mind that the auditor with whom you speak must work the oldest completed returns first and will not be able to expedite your refund.