- 2023 Zoning Code Update
- Project Overview
The City, in collaboration with land use planning firm Kendig Keast Collaborative, has begun the process to update the Monroe Planning and Zoning Code. As a next step to the Advance Monroe 2040 Comprehensive Plan adopted in October 2021, the objective of this code update will be to align with many of the goals and recommendations of the comprehensive plan while improving functionality, modernizing, and developing regulatory solutions specifically tailored to our community.
Public participation and stakeholder engagement will be a critical part of this process! Stay tuned for surveys, pop-ups, open houses, and public meeting dates to come this year! To be added to a contact list for direct notification of future events, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your preferred email address.
The Planning and Zoning Code will be updated over the course of 2023 in three phases. The project kicked off in January of this year and staff anticipates adoption of the final document in December 2023.
This project will be guided by two committees, the Code Steering Committee and the Code Technical Committee. The Code Steering Committee is made up of City elected and appointed leadership, including those that will ultimately be responsible for adopting the final code. The Code Technical Committee is made up of City staff across several departments: Development, Public Works, Engineering, Fire, and City Manager's Office. This Committee is comprised of the staff that will ultimately be responsible for implementing the code and will be the primary users of the code on the City side.
code steering committee
- Vice Mayor Christina McElfresh
- Councilperson Marc Bellapianta
- David Kirkpatrick, Planning Commission Chair
- Matthew Frye, Planning Commission Vice Chair
- Anthony Marconi, Planning Commission Member
- David Grant, Planning Commission Member
- Lorenzo Adam, Board of Zoning Appeals Chair
- Joshua Mason, Board of Zoning Appeals
- Stan Kappers, Monroe Area Community Investment Corp
code technical committee
- Tom Smith, Development Director
- Kameryn Jones, Assistant Development Director
- Jameson Cole, Planner
- Paul Goodhue, Consultant City Engineer
- Constance Kepner, Civil Engineer
- Matt Grubbs, Assistant Fire Chief
- Kacey Waggaman, Assistant City Manager