A permit is an official approval issued by a local government agency that allows you or your contractor to proceed with a construction or remodeling project on your property. It is intended to ensure that the project plans comply with local standards for land use, zoning and construction. Specific issues that the building permit process may address include zoning, sanitation, water and sewer lines, fire protection, and electrical service. Depending on the location and type of work to be performed, either/or a homeowner or the contracting business owner may be required to apply for a permit.

What is Right-of-Way?

A right-of-way or ROW (not to be confused with "right of way" without hyphens) is a type of easement granted or reserved over the land for transportation purposes as well as to provide location for and access to utility infrastructure. In plain language, this refers to an area at the edge of private property as it connects to a public roadway, or a portion of private property that must grant regulatory and access rights to a local governments and some utilities. 

Examples of Right-of-Way include:

      • a fixed distance from a road centerline in which a local government has authority to  manage construction or modification of objects, including driveway aprons, and curb & gutter
      • an area above and around buried utilities that provides utility workers with unimpeded access to the utility, such as sanitary sewer, water distribution, stormwater conveyance, underground electric, or natural gas pipelines. This type of right-of-way is also called a utility easement. 

Right-of-Way and Street Opening Permit

This permit is required for any work to be performed on a driveway (i.e. replacement, realignment, increase/decrease size) when the work may encroach upon the Right-of-Way. 

This permit is required for utility work to be performed within the Right-of-Way (ROW). Examples include water service lines, fiber line installation, or gas and electric service. For all construction projects, please fill out the Right-of-Way Construction Permit Application Packet linked below. Review all instructions prior to submittal for review; failure to provide all necessary information will result in a non-review. The cost of application review and permit is $150.00 (Ord. No. 2021-01). Fee is due at time of submission. Please allow 7-10 business days for permit review and approval and 5-7 business days for second reviews. Once a plan is approved, a permit certificate will be emailed to the provided email address. All attached exhibit documents must be labeled with the appropriate Exhibit name. All information requested in this packet is governed by the city's Code of Ordinances Title Two - Chapter 1020 - Comprehensive Rights-of-Way Ordinance.

Zoning Permits

Zoning permits are required for fences, expansion of a driveway outside of the Right-of-Way, construction of a deck, pool, patio, sheds, etc. Please visit the Development Department website for more information.  

Accessory Structure Permit

To construct an accessory structure such as a detached deck, a shed, a pole barn, or an in-ground or above-ground pool, you will need to apply for an accessory structure permit. Pools and other structures being attached to a portion of the home also require a building permit. Additionally, any accessory structure over 200 square feet requires a building permit in addition to the zoning permit.  Please visit the Development department website for more information.