Tucked away on East Avenue, Monroe's Bicentennial Memorial celebrates 200 years of being Firmly Founded and Proudly Growing.
The Village of Monroe was platted on September 25, 1817. As recognition of Monroe's Existence for 200 years, this monument was placed with the official seal of the City of Monroe. The seal shows the steeple of the Monroe United Methodist Church on East Avenue. The steeple was a historic landmark that measured 86 feet in height. Also on the seal is a water tower that stood next to the Monroe United Methodist Church. On May 10, 1969, the steeple was destroyed by a tornado that touched down in the heart of Monroe. The water tower remained standing and in operation and was removed in 2016.